Tag Archive for Letterkenny

Letterkenny (Irish: Leitirceanainn, meaning “Hillside of the O’Cannons”) is the largest and most populous town in County Donegal, Ireland. It is also largest urban centre in the north-west of the country. The English name for the town is derived from the Irish name Leitirceanainn, meaning “Hillside of the O’Cannons” – the O’Cannons being the last of the ancient chieftains of Tír Conaill. With a population of 19,588, it is located on the River Swilly in east Donegal. Letterkenny, along with the nearby city of Derry, forms the major economic core of the north-west of the island of Ireland.
The modern urban centre of Letterkenny began as a market town at the start of the 17th century, during the Plantation of Ulster. An ancient castle once stood near where the Cathedral of St. Eunan and St. Columba, Donegal’s only Roman Catholic cathedral, stands today. Letterkenny Castle, built in 1625, was located south of Mount Southwell on Castle Street. Donegal and the north-west’s premier third…