Tag: Dunboyne

Dunboyne (Irish: Dún Búinne, meaning “Búinne’s stronghold”) is a town in County Meath, Ireland.
Dunboyne is centred on the crossroads formed by the R156 regional road and the old Maynooth Road (formerly designated R157). The total population is 13,578.
Dunboyne’s history stretches back to the Middle Ages.
It was home to many men who fought for and against British rule in the Irish Rebellion of 1798.
Dunboyne Castle, originally a castle, later a fine Georgian house, was built as a seat for a branch of the Butler dynasty, the Lords Dunboyne. It later passed to the Mangan family and was the seat of Simon Mangan, HM Lieutenant for County Meath in the 1890s and 1900s. The House was sold in 1950 and became the Good Shepherd convent, in which nuns used to live until the closing of the convent in the 1990s due to building damage. A partial amount of the building had been dismantled. In 2006, the convent was sold and converted into a hotel.
Many of the families outside this village were…